337 Ridge Rd, Barrington IL 60010 | Phone: (847)-381-0596

History of St. Mark’s

 

St Mark’s Through the Years

The Story of Our Church

image

Like many churches, St Mark’s began as the germ of an idea in the hearts and minds of its founding members, Ed and Kay McGibbon, Charles and Virginia Packer, Jim and Addie Haffner, Ralph and Carole Stoetzel, and Ray and Jeanette Davis, Jr. Originally they were all founding members of St Michaels Episcopal Church on Dundee Ave, Barrington. St Michael’s was founded in 1945 in an effort to have an Episcopal church more conveniently located than St James in Dundee, where many originally worshipped. Rectors come and go and churches evolve and St Michael’s, originally begun as a “low church” less formal and ceremonial, had morphed into more of a “high church” with a worship pattern more closely resembling the Catholic mass.

Our cadre of parishioners plus friends and family numbering 28 adults and children subsequently left St Michael’s in 1954 and founded St Mark’s; its original chapel building began construction in the pastoral and bucolic environs of Barrington Hills. This chapel was completed in 1956 and the current buildings date from 1963-1968, the original chapel now has been incorporated into our rector, Fr David Gibbons’ office.


 

St Mark’s Day School

Educating Our Future Generations

St Mark’s Day School came into existence in 1966, with the new education wing added on and completed in 1969. The Day School has earned a reputation as one of the finest schools of its kind by the State of Illinois. It is a non-denominational, state licensed pre-school and is a member or affiliated with a variety of national and Chicago based associations. The Day school is self-supporting and retains a vibrant highly motivated staff lead by their new director Maggie Sandford.

image

 

St Mark’s Today

Growing to Meet Today's Needs

image

St Mark’s has undergone a number of physical changes over the years. Despite our outward and inward growth, we have tried to retain the essence of a relatively modest pastoral church. Our small size belies our expansive spirit of welcome, acceptance of all, and commitment to spiritual growth and understanding. We are somewhat challenged by our isolated setting. While a blessing, it also forces us to creatively and consistently find new ways to reach out, respond and relate to our community, our region and our world.